Formal complaint

All university members have the opportunity to make an official complaint to the university management about grievances and stressful situations in connection with abuse of power, discrimination or sexualised violence. Even in an official complaints procedure, it is possible to remain anonymous to the person in conflict. However, the report must be made in person.

  • I would like to submit a formal complaint, what do I have to do?

    To make a formal complaint, you must write down what has happened. This can be done alone or together with a counselling centre, for example a confidant. If you have received counselling, you must release the counselling centre from their duty of confidentiality.
    You or the counselling centre must then submit your letter to the university management: or

  • What happens next?

    The university management follows up on any complaints immediately. This means that official discussions are held with all parties involved. Firstly with the person making the complaint, i.e. you. You can be accompanied by a person of your choice, for example a counselling centre. You must release them from their duty of confidentiality beforehand. The discussions are strictly confidential. This is followed by an interview with the person in conflict in the form of a hearing on the allegations made.

  • What are the possible consequences?

    Depending on the severity of the conflict, there will be consequences:

    • If desired: Change of teacher
    • If desired: exclusion of the teacher from examinations
    • Order of coaching and further training
    • Mediation
    • Admonition/Warning
    • Consequences under employment law (warning)
    • Lesson observation
    • Consequences under criminal law