Bachelor, Master, Excellence in Performance and Post-Master Certificate

As part of your studies in a Bachelor or Master degree course, as well as in the Excellence in Performance degree course and in the Post-Master Certificate degree course, you usually have to take various examinations at our university. An overview of the examinations required in your degree course can be found in the subject examination regulation and study regulations for your degree course, which are available on the page of your respective degree course.

You must register for most examinations via the online portal eOffice. You can only register for examinations within a registration period. The exact examination dates are only announced online. The Examinations Office does not provide separate notification of postponements – even at short notice (exception: rescheduling of an examination date). Therefore, please inform yourself about any postponements.

  • What's new in winter semester 2023/24?

    As of winter semester 2023/24, the “Music education” examination in the Bachelor’s degree courses (B.Mus.) must be taken in the form of a written exam (completion time 90 min) instead of in the form of worksheets. This also applies to repeaters. Students who register for the Music education course are automatically registered for the Music education examination. Repeaters are registered by the Examination Office. As the content of the examination is related to the course, we recommend that you attend the course regularly to prepare for the examination.

  • How do I register for my examinations?

    You can register for examinations via the university platform eOffice. You can find instructions on how to register for examinations here.

    Registration for examinations in the summer semester 2024:
    5 february to 18 february 2023

    Please note: Some examinations do not require online registration (for example Bachelor’s/Master’s theses and disputations). Registration for examinations without approved online registration is then only possible via the Examination Office responsible for you. You can obtain information on the relevant registration modalities during the usual opening hours.

  • Are exams allowed to be recorded?

    No. Currently, recording of examinations is not permitted.

    Exception: In the subjects of Composition, Composition for Film and Media, Choral Conducting and Orchestral Conducting, students are permitted to record university examinations in Bachelor and Master degree courses in final modules where an audience is permitted. This permission is granted exclusively from the point of view of examination law. The students are solely responsible for obtaining the rights required for the recording (Utilisation rights, etc.). Within the scope of the capacities of the Recording Studio, students may borrow the equipment required for the recording. Staff from the Recording Studio will not be provided.

  • What do I have to do if I fall ill?

    If you are ill and cannot take part in an examination, you must …

    • … inform the responsible Examination Office of your non-attendance before the examination begins.
    • … go to a doctor no later than the day of the examination who will issue you with a certificate of incapacity to take the examination (medical certificate) due to your illness/injury.
    • … submit the certificate of incapacity for examination (medical certificate) to the responsible Examination Office no later than three calendar days after the examination date. When notifying us, please state which examination(s) the certificate relates to: Name of the examination(s) and examination date

    Download: Certificate of examination incapacity (in German)

    The Examination Office may also require the submission of a medical certificate from a doctor at the Public Health Department (so called „ amtsärztliches Attest.”) The costs for an official medical certificate are not reimbursed by the university.

    If an illness occurs during an examination, the inability to take the examination must be notified during the examination. The examination will be terminated and not assessed. If an examination is taken despite known health restrictions, no examination incapacity can be accepted retrospectively.

  • What happens if I do not appear for an examination without a reason?

    According to § 12 of the General Examination Regulations, (APO, Allgemeinen Prüfungsordnung), an examination is deemed to be graded „unsatisfactory” if you fail to appear at an examination date without a valid reason or if you withdraw from the examination without a valid reason. The same applies if a written examination is not completed within the specified processing time.

    The reasons asserted for the withdrawal or default must be notified to the Examinations Office in writing without delay and must be made credible.

  • Can I have study and examination achievements recognised?

    Yes, the crediting or recognition of study and examination achievements must be applied for by enclosing certified copies or certified translated copies of the certificates and attestations.

    The application must be submitted to the head of the Examination Office before commencing studies. The Examination Board decides on the recognition of study and examination achievements.

  • What do I have to consider for Bachelor's and Master's thesis?

    Students must obtain the topic of the Bachelor’s or Master’s thesis from the person supervising them by these deadlines and submit it to the Examinations Office:

    • in the summer semester by 15 July
    • in the winter semester by 15 January

    These deadlines do not apply to degree courses with the title Bachelor of Arts or Master of Arts. The processing time for the Bachelor’s or Master’s thesis is regulated in the individual subject examination regulations and study regulations.

  • What applies to internships?

    An internship must be completed as part of some Master’s degree courses. The exact duration and the ECTS points achieved are regulated in the respective subject examination and study regulations. These can be found on the page of your respective study programme (in German).

    Please submit this certificate to the Examination Office to have the ECTS points recognised.
    Download: Internship certificate (in German)

If you have any questions, please contact our staff at the Examinations Office:

Livia Buchner
Hubert Dobl
Sabine Hollmann
Raimund Rosarius
Anne-Maria Lammeyer