Studying with a child

For students with one or more children, it is often not easy to reconcile the demands of studying with the needs of their own child. For this reason, we would like to provide you with this information to help you meet this challenge.

Questions and answers

  • How do I take leave of absence for maternity and parental leave?

    Prof. Dirk Mommertz ( provides information on leave of absence for maternity and parental leave.

  • Is there childcare at the university?

    Our university works closely with the BOS Kindergruppe childcare centre.

    You can find more information on the page family-friendly university.

  • How do I apply for a babysitting subsidy?

    From 2019, the so-called „babysitter subsidy” will benefit students with child/ren who need extra childcare for study-related purposes. This means any rehearsals, exam concerts or concerts in which they have to actively participate, but whose times are outside the regular time of childcare facilities.

    Currently, it is envisaged that students can claim this with a maximum of € 300 per half calendar year. However, a legal claim cannot be made here, so if the available funds have been exhausted, this support cannot be further claimed or legally enforced.

    Information on how to apply can be found in the information sheet „Babysitterzuschuss” (in German). Application forms will be sent personally if asked for at

  • Is there a free lunch for children?

    Yes. The Studierendenwerk München (Student Services) offers a free lunch to all children of students up to their sixth birthday. If you pay for more than one meal with your child/children in a Studentenwerk cafeteria, the cheaper meal is free. You can find more information on the homepage of the Studierendenwerk München Oberbayern:

  • Where can I get further advice?

    The Studierendenwerk München (Student Services) offers advice on balancing family and studies, psychological counselling in crisis situations, and information on financial support options. You can find more information here:

    The city of Munich has also compiled a lot of information on this topic: „Familie und Kind” (in German)

    pro familia is the largest non-governmental organisation for sexual, pregnancy and partnership counselling in Germany. The non-profit organisation provides advice on these topics and helps with applications, etc.